Friday, March 30, 2012

Merge snapshot frequency

I have the following scenario,
1.merge replication with 3000 subscribers
2.I have dynamic publication (NOT dynamic snapshot)
3.we observed that synchronization is slow whenever we do a data import at
the publisher
4.because of this we ran the snapshot agent immediately after the data import
5.after the snapshot run, we find the subscriber syncs faster
I would like to know what are the implications of running snapshot agent.
Will it remove the delta changes which are pending for sync? Or is it okay if
I run snapshot as much as I like?
Expect slowness whenever you do a data import as there is always the impact
of the dataload and then there is the added data you have to merge.
Are you saying if you run the snapshot you get faster sync's? This only
makes sense if you re-initialize your subscribers after regenerating the
snapshot.
If you have anonymous subscribers the snapshot is always generated each time
you run it. If you have named it is only regenerated if subscribers expire
or require reinitialization.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Ravi Lobo" <RaviLobo@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:45E03380-6DE7-4AB1-B20D-A97C18B04717@.microsoft.com...
>I have the following scenario,
> 1.merge replication with 3000 subscribers
> 2.I have dynamic publication (NOT dynamic snapshot)
> 3.we observed that synchronization is slow whenever we do a data import at
> the publisher
> 4.because of this we ran the snapshot agent immediately after the data
> import
> 5.after the snapshot run, we find the subscriber syncs faster
>
> I would like to know what are the implications of running snapshot agent.
> Will it remove the delta changes which are pending for sync? Or is it okay
> if
> I run snapshot as much as I like?
>
>
|||Thank you Hilary for you time. I have some more clarifications,
1.I have sql server ce subscribers
2.Hence I need to use anonymous subscription
I have the following questions here,
a)Can I use pre-generated snapshot in my case? (Anonymous + sql ce
subscribers)
b)I also have dynamic filters on the publisher. What impact I will have by
re-running the snapshot second time, on the subscriber?
"Hilary Cotter" wrote:

> Expect slowness whenever you do a data import as there is always the impact
> of the dataload and then there is the added data you have to merge.
> Are you saying if you run the snapshot you get faster sync's? This only
> makes sense if you re-initialize your subscribers after regenerating the
> snapshot.
> If you have anonymous subscribers the snapshot is always generated each time
> you run it. If you have named it is only regenerated if subscribers expire
> or require reinitialization.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
>
> "Ravi Lobo" <RaviLobo@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:45E03380-6DE7-4AB1-B20D-A97C18B04717@.microsoft.com...
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment