Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Merge Replication with Indexed Tables

I have several systems located aroung the globe that currently have Merge
Replication running just fine. I've recently found that if I add an index to
one of the tables, my application will perform much better.
How does adding indices on tables effect the Merge Replication? Is this
considered a Schema change?
If I Index the NY DB, how will it impact the databases that do not have the
indices?
Thaks,
Randy
randy.crockett@.ectinfo.com
In general it will improve them, especially if the filters are on columns
which are part of the join condition. Too many indexes will degrade overall
insert, update and delete performance, so use indexes sparingly.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Randy" <Randy@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BFD6A891-F662-4405-8749-A38ADBC3C0B3@.microsoft.com...
> I have several systems located aroung the globe that currently have Merge
> Replication running just fine. I've recently found that if I add an index
to
> one of the tables, my application will perform much better.
> How does adding indices on tables effect the Merge Replication? Is this
> considered a Schema change?
> If I Index the NY DB, how will it impact the databases that do not have
the
> indices?
> Thaks,
> Randy
> randy.crockett@.ectinfo.com
|||If I add Indexes to a replicated database, do I have to create a new snapshot
and restart the replication?
Is this considered a schema change?
"Hilary Cotter" wrote:

> In general it will improve them, especially if the filters are on columns
> which are part of the join condition. Too many indexes will degrade overall
> insert, update and delete performance, so use indexes sparingly.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
> "Randy" <Randy@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BFD6A891-F662-4405-8749-A38ADBC3C0B3@.microsoft.com...
> to
> the
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment