Monday, March 26, 2012

Merge replication when new tables are created regularly

Hi all,
I am trying to replicate a database (sql server 2000) to a remote site. I
use merge replication and do almost continous replication.
My problem is I have one application which creates atleast 6 or 7 new tables
a day. Everytime it create a tables, snapshot agent restarts again and this
makes the entire server slow. Also when doing this snapshot agent fails most
often!
How can I get around this issue. Anybody with insight to this issue, plz
help me..
Regards,
Maani
The problem with the snapshot agent on merge publications is that it
snapshots the entire publication, even when only one article is added, and
there isn't an option of a concurrent snapshot unlike transactional. This is
probably causing the snapshot errors you are getting. It's not always very
practical, but you could potentially add the new tables to a new
publication.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com .
|||Sounds to me like a design problem in the application. At that rate, you
would be adding approx. 2,500 tables a year! I'd hate to administer that
database.
David
"Maani" <Maani@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:709E0B34-622A-4E17-9996-5DCBC45D3C93@.microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
> I am trying to replicate a database (sql server 2000) to a remote site. I
> use merge replication and do almost continous replication.
> My problem is I have one application which creates atleast 6 or 7 new
> tables
> a day. Everytime it create a tables, snapshot agent restarts again and
> this
> makes the entire server slow. Also when doing this snapshot agent fails
> most
> often!
> How can I get around this issue. Anybody with insight to this issue, plz
> help me..
> Regards,
> Maani
|||So.. What should I do?
create a new publication periodically and and all newly created tables
should be added on to newest publication? How can i do that then? Somebody
plz help me with the scripts please as I am not professional DBA... :-)
"David" wrote:

> Sounds to me like a design problem in the application. At that rate, you
> would be adding approx. 2,500 tables a year! I'd hate to administer that
> database.
> David
> "Maani" <Maani@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:709E0B34-622A-4E17-9996-5DCBC45D3C93@.microsoft.com...
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment