Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Merge replication with MSSQL/SQLCE using row filters

Hello everyone,
I'm new in replication, I have some - maybe trivial - question.
First of all, I'm using a MSSQL server as a publisher, the clients are
Pocket PC's, running SQLCE. All clients need only a subset of data, which
can be controlled via row filters, using SUSER_SNAME(). For the first
replication, it seems everything is correct, but.
I have 2 tables in the publication with a reference, eg. table X with
fields code,data and table Y with fields xcode,username. The row filters
looks like:
for table X: 'WHERE X.code IN (SELECT Y.xcode FROM Y WHERE Y.xcode=X.code
AND Y.username=SUSER_SNAME())'
for table Y: 'WHERE Y.username=SUSER_SNAME()'
If I add a row to table Y, the referrenced row from table X will not be
transferred through the next merge replication process, causing referential
integrity error. If I reinitialize the publication, it works again. It
seems, the expressions in the row filters has no effect after the first run
of the Snapshot Agent. I've tried JOIN FILTERS, the effect was that the join
filters worked _only_, not the row filters.
Any idea? The dynamic filters option is on. Am I need to create a dynamic
snapshot job for every single client? There are lot's of them .
Thanks for any help,
Nomad
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that you can use SUSER_Sname()
on your pocket PC.
When I issue this command on isqlw on my pocket pc I get an: At least one
input table is required.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
"Nomad" <gfoyle@.freemail.hu> wrote in message
news:OGlIubKnEHA.3708@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello everyone,
> I'm new in replication, I have some - maybe trivial - question.
> First of all, I'm using a MSSQL server as a publisher, the clients are
> Pocket PC's, running SQLCE. All clients need only a subset of data, which
> can be controlled via row filters, using SUSER_SNAME(). For the first
> replication, it seems everything is correct, but.
> I have 2 tables in the publication with a reference, eg. table X with
> fields code,data and table Y with fields xcode,username. The row filters
> looks like:
> for table X: 'WHERE X.code IN (SELECT Y.xcode FROM Y WHERE Y.xcode=X.code
> AND Y.username=SUSER_SNAME())'
> for table Y: 'WHERE Y.username=SUSER_SNAME()'
> If I add a row to table Y, the referrenced row from table X will not be
> transferred through the next merge replication process, causing
referential
> integrity error. If I reinitialize the publication, it works again. It
> seems, the expressions in the row filters has no effect after the first
run
> of the Snapshot Agent. I've tried JOIN FILTERS, the effect was that the
join
> filters worked _only_, not the row filters.
> Any idea? The dynamic filters option is on. Am I need to create a dynamic
> snapshot job for every single client? There are lot's of them .
> Thanks for any help,
> Nomad
>
|||I'm using the SUSER_SNAME function at the publication row/join filters, in a
publisher database. The publisher is a PC running MSSQL, the clients are
Pocket PC's using SQLCE. It seems, the function itself working correctly,
for the first time, I've found not the solution, but the description of this
problem, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...n-us%3Bq324362
So this is not a bug, it's a feature .
"Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cotter@.gmail.com> az albbiakat rta a kvetkezo
zenetben news:O4l1BwLnEHA.648@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that you can use SUSER_Sname()
> on your pocket PC.
> When I issue this command on isqlw on my pocket pc I get an: At least one
> input table is required.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
>
> "Nomad" <gfoyle@.freemail.hu> wrote in message
> news:OGlIubKnEHA.3708@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
which[vbcol=seagreen]
Y.xcode=X.code[vbcol=seagreen]
> referential
> run
> join
dynamic
>
|||As the artice down below says, this kind of replication process (e.g. using
subqueries referencing other tables in a row filter) could not be executed
using row filters, because row filters won't be evaluated after the first
run of the snaphot agent. This was disappointing .
Now I have a question about JOIN FILTER-s. The behavoiur of the join filters
"cumulative" (or "transitive")? For example, I have a row filter for one
table, and a join filter for another - joined to the first table. So, I will
have only the joined rows from the second table after replication. Am I
right? Can I use row and join filters in cooperation?
"Nomad" <gfoyle@.freemail.hu> az albbiakat rta a kvetkezo zenetben
news:%23dAuB6LnEHA.2612@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I'm using the SUSER_SNAME function at the publication row/join filters, in
a
> publisher database. The publisher is a PC running MSSQL, the clients are
> Pocket PC's using SQLCE. It seems, the function itself working correctly,
> for the first time, I've found not the solution, but the description of
this
> problem, here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...n-us%3Bq324362
> So this is not a bug, it's a feature .
|||Yes subset filters and join filters are intended to be used together. Yes
you will only get rows in the join filter table that meet the subset filter
in the parent table.
Philip Vaughn
Program Manager -SQL Server Replication
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please reply to newsgroups only, many thanks!
"Nomad" <gfoyle@.freemail.hu> wrote in message
news:OA7wcVnnEHA.4084@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> As the artice down below says, this kind of replication process (e.g.
> using
> subqueries referencing other tables in a row filter) could not be executed
> using row filters, because row filters won't be evaluated after the first
> run of the snaphot agent. This was disappointing .
> Now I have a question about JOIN FILTER-s. The behavoiur of the join
> filters
> "cumulative" (or "transitive")? For example, I have a row filter for one
> table, and a join filter for another - joined to the first table. So, I
> will
> have only the joined rows from the second table after replication. Am I
> right? Can I use row and join filters in cooperation?
> "Nomad" <gfoyle@.freemail.hu> az albbiakat rta a kvetkezo zenetben
> news:%23dAuB6LnEHA.2612@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> a
> this
>

No comments:

Post a Comment