Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Merge replication with IMAGE Data Type

Hello all and thank you in advance:
Question 1) Can I use merge replication with tables that IMAGE data
type columns?
Question 2) I need to add my uniqueidenity, if I add to the bottom of
the column list can be sure that ALTER statement will be transparant
and not lock the entire table?
Thank VERY much,
Erik
Yes - merge replication can handle text/image datatypes. This is one factor
that distinguishes it from queued updating subscribers.
I don't follow your other question. Merge uses a column containing a
uniqueidentifier and which has the RowGuid attribute. Only one column can
have this attribute although there can be several columns containing
uniqueidentifiers. Adding in other columns using sp_repladdcolumn with a
default should be fine, or using ALTER TABLE in SQL 2005. Altering the schema
of the table will lock the table whichever way you do it.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison

No comments:

Post a Comment