Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Merge Replication with MSDE

I have two MSDE servers on different machines and am
trying to set up merge replication between the two. When
the merge agent runs on the publisher, it indicates that
the "process could not connect to the Subscriber" (SQL
Server does not exist or access denied).
I'm not sure if matters, but I'm running in a peer-to-
peer network. I have my SQL Agent service on the
publisher running under a local machine account, and that
account has access to the publisher, however I wasn't
sure how to grant access to that account on the
Subscriber, or if that was even necessary.
Any help would be appreciated.
- Jim T.
Jim
I am not positive, but I think that we ran into this problem as well. I
beleive that the problem is that the local machine account on the publisher
(or subscriber) can't authenticate with the other machine which means that
the SQL Server Agent can't connect to the other machine to make replication
happen. If I remember correctly, we had to have a non-local (domain)
account that each domain trusts and each machine allows access to the
database on. I'm not sure, but I think it may also be possible to have
local accounts as long as both the username and password are the same on
both machines. I'm pretty sure that there is a KB article titled somthing
like "How to run replication accross non-trusted domains" that may help. If
you need to change the SQL Agent's service acount, take a look at KB article
283811. Sorry to be so vague, but I hope it points you in the right
direction.
HTH
Ron L
"Jim Toth" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:14b301c4b3e6$5d41a650$a401280a@.phx.gbl...
>I have two MSDE servers on different machines and am
> trying to set up merge replication between the two. When
> the merge agent runs on the publisher, it indicates that
> the "process could not connect to the Subscriber" (SQL
> Server does not exist or access denied).
> I'm not sure if matters, but I'm running in a peer-to-
> peer network. I have my SQL Agent service on the
> publisher running under a local machine account, and that
> account has access to the publisher, however I wasn't
> sure how to grant access to that account on the
> Subscriber, or if that was even necessary.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> - Jim T.

No comments:

Post a Comment