Monday, March 26, 2012

Merge Replication 'wait' issues

Hello,
I have created 3 merge publications on my server. I notice
that when I right click and try to view the properties of
the publication, SQL takes a long time to pull up the
properties of the publication.
Any ideas on how to make this 'wait' time less or why this
occurs?
Thanks,
niv
Niv,
a few things to try to narrow it down:
when you run sp_helpmergepublication does it also take a long time? How about sp_helpmergearticle? How many records are there in sysmergepublications and sysmergesubscriptions? Are things generally slow in EM? If it is just the merge publications, what oc
curs if you open another EM and look at the current activity windows - any evidence of blocking?
HTH,
Paul Ibison
|||Paul,
Tried both those procedures and it returned very fast.
Looks like it may have been another issue. I can get into
the properties quickly now... hmm. weird..
Anyhow,
I am in need of some advice in regards to the best
replication option to select when making changes to
triggers, views, sprocs.
I tried this at one point but I think I choose drop and
recreate.. needless to say.. this was not good
I await your reply.
niv

>--Original Message--
>Niv,
>a few things to try to narrow it down:
>when you run sp_helpmergepublication does it also take a
long time? How about sp_helpmergearticle? How many records
are there in sysmergepublications and
sysmergesubscriptions? Are things generally slow in EM? If
it is just the merge publications, what occurs if you open
another EM and look at the current activity windows - any
evidence of blocking?
>HTH,
>Paul Ibison
>.
>
|||Niv,
glad it's working.
You mention "Changes to triggers, views, sprocs" - are these objects created by SQL Server as part of the replication setup, or are they user objects. If the former, I would advise against altering, although in the case of a recent poster I mentioned edit
ing the triggers, but this was a specific business scenario.
If they are user objects then you might replicate the views and sprocs as separate articles. Triggers are more difficult, and you can use sp_addscriptexec if you are using transactional replication but if not then scripting changes and using linked server
s may be considered.
HTH,
Paul Ibison

No comments:

Post a Comment